Friday, March 12, 2010

Ok so far today, I have spent $5.00 on childcare at the gym and $7.00 at the grocery store. I was quite impressed that I was able to get 12 rolls of toilet paper and 1 cheese stick(jo) and wipes for that amount. Today was also Madeline's snack day at school and I told her she had a $15 budget. We made a list of what she wanted and estimated the cost. Of course she bases her snacks on what friends she wants to help her, so we have to have 3 types of food and then a beverage, that the teacher serves. So she wanted Gold fish, Cheese sticks and apples. As we went through Albertsons she got her drink first which was a mixed juice and happened to be fairly cheap. The Goldfish were on sale right when we walked through the store, so that was easy. Then came the cheese sticks, those little suckers are pricey. Because she has more than 12 in her class we would either need to buy 2 packs at $4.49 a piece or 24 for $8.99. So we picked up the larger pack and went onto the apples. Organic apples $1.68 lb, we got three of them. I had a feeling those cheese sticks were going to put us over the $15 limit, so I asked her to go back down the cheese aisle with me and we discussed how she was going to go over so maybe there was a different option for her. We walked around the store and found individual apple sauces for 1 .89 for a package of 6, we bought three of those. We paid separately so that she could see her total, which came in at $13.10. I told her she could have the rest of the money for her savings because she stayed on budget. It was such a great experience because she got to make the choices based on what she had.

I am thinking of somethings I want to sell so that I can up my e.f. quickly. I saw a Longaberger laundry basket in my crawl space that is selling on ebay right now for $235. I don't know why I really don't want to sell it but for god's sake it is in my crawl space. I also have some collectors baskets in the attic and a vintage sheepskin coat that has never been used hanging up. I think Monday maybe a day for listing all of those on ebay.

So tomorrow is the live simulcast of Dave Ramsey, I am hoping I can head down and listen to it. It would be great to get the whole plan explained vs just bits and pieces. I have been listening to his free podcasts on itunes and they are great! To hear of someone paying down $140K worth of debt in 4 years is so motivating.

Ok I just got a refund on my new Quicken for Mac 2010. I decided if I am going to be using the envelope method I should know where my account is at all times and I don't need the program. REFUND $76.01. Now the question is do I subscribe to Dave's Total Money Makeover for $89 for the year. I have about 4 days left to decide.

Just found out my husband will be working tomorrow so no Dave for me. Babysitting is just too much for the new budget. Oh well his podcasts will have to do for now

No comments:

Post a Comment